Friday, July 31, 2009

Baby Steps...

...not for Leah, but for me.

Before Leah was born, we had a desicion to make...where to put the baby. We have never had a baby in our room with us. From day 1 with all the others, they went straight from the hospital into the nursery in their own crib. But this time, we had no nursery or bedroom available, so we reluctantly set up the crib and changing table in our bedroom. I did not think I would like having the baby so close. I thought I would wake up to every grunt and every little noise the baby would make. But, to my utter suprise, I love having Leah in my room only steps from where I sleep!

But she is getting older (almost 5 months now!), and we have been putting off a move for her. Partly because we didn't know where she would go. Would we put her in with one of her siblings or give her a room to herself and two of the older kids would have to share? But partly because I just wasnt' ready to move her out of our room yet. So after our trip to Tennesee (pictures to come soon!), we too the plunge and moved Leah into Sam's room! I had a really hard time with it. Our room looks empty now! (I guess we will have to go shopping for a new chair or something!) Big brother Sam was so excited about his new roommate, and both the girls were disappointed to not be getting one.

Leah did awesome! Since she is sleeping a sound 10-11 hours each night and no longer needs a middle-of-the-night feeding, we knew she wouldn't wake Sam up in the night. We just didn't know how things would go in the morning. We had told Sam all the rules...no getting Leah out of bed, no giving Leah toys, etc. Well, on Monday morning, I woke to sounds of coos and giggles from Leah and could hear Sam sweetly talking to Leah from the monitor. I went in, and this is what I found.....




No one told Sam he couldn't blow bubbles for his baby sis!! I thought it was so cute, I did what any other good mom would have done, I got the camera and told him to blow more! Leah has done great in her new room with Sam and Sam has adjusted well to his new roommate. I should have known it would go so well...I just have a hard time letting go.

So here's the new set up. Oh and we chose Sam's room because my very talented Father in law made Sam a loft for his 4th birthday and he has plenty of room to share.


Isn't that loft amazing??? We are taking orders! (Just kidding, I don't think he will ever tackle another loft!)
I know, it needs a little feminine touch for Leah, I am working on it! We still have the changing pad and all her clothes in my room. One day I will have all of her "stuff" in her new room (Brian hopes it's soon!) but for now, baby steps....

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

That is so precious that he was blowing bubbles for her. I am sure she was in heaven with big brother playing with her. How sweet are they both? I love it!!!

Jeanette said...

Oh I love this! I always forget to read your blog, but you have the best stories. How sweet of him to give her smiles in the morning.